Sunday, February 19, 2012

Epic garlic bread

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty friggin' pleased with myself.

The picky-eater suggested that we get some garlic bread to accompany our butter-roasted chicken and veggies.  I, being stubborn, thought we could do better.  

CHALLEEENGE!

That's a happy oven.

I started prep when the picky-one was en route from work.  This meant that I was moving quickly and forgot to take pictures... but that will be remedied later (I only prepped one-half of the loaf).

Garlic Bread (at least MY garlic bread)

1 halved loaf of French bread
1 stick butter (softened and unsalted--so you can control the salt level)
1/2 bunch fresh parsley (chopped super fine... and get the stems out)
4/5 cloves garlic (minced super fine)
koshar salt (to taste)
rubber spatula (to do the mixing and the spreading)
bowl (to do said mixing in... and with sufficient space to contain everything)

-Essentially, I made a compound-butter and spread it on the bread

-Before making the compound-butter, you need to decide whether you want softer or crustier bread
  • Softer--proceed normally
  • Crustier--toast the bread first
    • I'm not giving guidelines... that's your preference
    • bake it till it's done
-To make the compound butter:
  • Dump all the parsley and garlic onto the butter in a bowl
    • It'll look like WAY too much parsley
      • ...actually, it MIGHT BE, for you
    • The picky-eater made some disparaging comments
      • the bread didn't survive long...
      • ...I win.
  • Use the spatula to integrate the parsley and garlic with the softened butter
    • I find it easiest to kind of fold it together
  • You may choose to salt this during the mixing process
    • not necessary, but that's your deal
-Half the loaf
  • Investing in a long, proper bread knife was a happy decision
    • you'll thank me

-Spread the butter onto a halved loaf of French bread
  • If you only want half the loaf baked right now, stick the bread in the freezer
  • There should also be about half the butter-combo left as well
    • you can put this in parchment paper, roll, and secure it before freezing
    • we don't have parchment paper, so we stuck it in a baggie
      • allow to soften before using for this purpose
      • there are other things you can do with it
        • No, I'm not in the mood to get into that right now...
        • ...I'll get to that later
 -Sprinkle salt over the spread
  • Why? 
    • It'll hit your tounge faster and allow the need for less salt overall
  • Still doubt me?
    • Fine, then sprinkle some on the bread before you spread the butter on there


The garlic bread was ready before anything else... (partly because I'm historically impatient)... and I ate the hell out if it.  I couldn't even finish a whole piece of chicken or all my veggies (and that's just not normal).


Oh, yes... you should totally be jealous...
and you should go make some yourself because it's easy...
and delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment