Thursday, December 8, 2011

Family Emergency = not fun

Not that I'm expecting may folks to actually read this blog (I started it more as an amusing cooking journal), but I don't like long missing sections and felt it warranted an explanation.

So, on Thanksgiving, I was sent a picture of my sibling and immediately cried.  I'd realized that there had been weight loss (from some jaw problems that made it very difficult to open the mouth), but I was not made aware of how severe it had been.

Cut to the Monday after, sibling went to the ER with severe pain and swelling of knees, feet, and ankles.  After noting that insurance had been used up and determining that there was nothing that was going to immediately result in death, my sibling was sent home.

I drove to NOLA to visit and help where I could.  I went with my sibling to the follow-up visit and found out that there is something wrong with the heart, not that the ER doctors even SUGGESTED that there be an out-patient cardiac consult.  The appointment was at 2:45pm, and it took from 10am till 2:20 to have 1/3rd of a smoothie drank, the bathroom used, physical therapy done, and clothes put on.  We still don't know exactly what's going on.  More tests are scheduled, and my sibling is supported by some loving family.

Seeing my sibling so tiny (picture Christian Bale in The Machinist skinny, only less definition) made me appreciate my health, my appetite, and ability to maintain weight (yeah, I never thought I'd say that last bit).

My sibling seems to be in better spirits and even requested pizza.  I've never been so thankful for something to be so high in calories in my life.

It's hard to be away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment